Wednesday, November 19, 2008

November - 3rdTuesday Jam Session

Yesterday was the 3rd Tuesday, afternoon jam session at the Ham Lake Senior Center. (Not the 3rd jam session on Tuesday, but the jam session held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month). It was a little strange because two of the long-time regulars weren't there. The wife of one of those two is the one who normally supplies a treat for the mid-session break so there were no cookies or bars or anything for the break. On top of that the lady that usually makes the coffee for the mid-session break was about an hour late so we didn't even have coffee. This was a typical Tuesday session turnout with a total of 9 players. There were 6 guitars, 1 amplified dobro, 1 electronic keyboard, and 1 accordian. The dobro was a good addition to the group. I'm not that fond of accordians or electronic keyboards in an acoustic guitar jam session, but I can live with it.
Since a couple of the players passed on their turns to lead, I was able to do 6 of my songs. Unfortunately one of the songs I did made a lady cry because she lost her husband early this year and the song brought back memories that made her sad. The same lady gave me a Merle Haggard songbook that I know I will enjoy using. Some of the people at the jam sessions call me Merle because I do 6 or 7 of his songs that everyone seems to like.

If anyone out there in blogland has any stories about jam sessions, guitars, wildlife, or any NEW jokes, I'd love to hear them.

No comments: